Home > Volunteering > Parish Ministries > Digital Communications
During the Fall of 2012 and early Winter 2013, St Irene’s Parish conducted a series of parish planning sessions to identify priorities for developing our faith community. The recommendations of the group are documented in a Parish Planning Report available at St Irene’s website.
A “parish web site and online presence” was a red thread running through
several recommendations such as developing an online ministry, engaging our youth and younger families, and facilitating online giving. In the Spring of 2013, the Digital Communications committee was formed to update the parish website and establish a social media presence.
St Irene’s original web site went live in January 2000, and the same overall “look and feel” was still being used in 2013. The Digital Communications committee’s first project was to:
- upgrade the web site with a more modern navigation and layout, add more content, add more photos and visual design elements, and
- augment St Irene’s website with a social media presence including a Facebook page, a Google Calendar for parish events, a LinkedIn discussion group, and a Yahoo mail group.
In order for the committee to improve the website and parish social media presence, we need your comments and recommendations. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your suggestions.
The parish planning sessions identified additional projects such as:
- implement electronic giving via the web site
- add a scheduling system for lectors and Eucharistic ministers
- add a reservation system for church facilities (rooms)
- boost our presence on smartphones with a mobile app
- work with the peer leadership group (older teens) to add more video content
- develop online content and events that appeal to young families
You are invited to share your talents with the Digital Communications committee. We need writers, editors, photographers, videographers, and individuals with computer skills to help us improve our current offerings. If you are interested in volunteering some of your skills, send an email to email@example.com identifying how you would like to help the committee and St Irene’s.
Internet Safety for Parents
St Irene's Technology Committee has provided a presentation of Internet Safety for Parents, (presented to parents whose children attend the Catechism program), focused on simple ways to filter Internet access in order to protect children from inappropriate content or advances online.
The two presentations associated with the session can be downloaded here:
Internet Safety presentation (pdf)
OpenDNS presentation (pdf)
Questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org